Forget blackhead removing, pore minimizing sticky pads.
The sad truth is that the only way to rid yourself of blackheads is to have them manually extracted – and even than you’ll still likely have to deal with over-sized pores in these warm summer months.
Don’t have the budget for regular facials? Not all is lost.
In fact, regular upkeep using toners, scrubs, and mattifiers is the most effective solution to keeping oil protection at bay, make-up in tact, and pores to an inconspicuous size.
Here are the best products to try at home.
1. Caudalie Toning Lotion, $26. This light toner is the perfect base for a morning pick-me-up. It will increase the effectiveness of your whole skin and make-up routine, and unlike so many other popular toners, it’s not dehydrating.
2. Tatcha Aburatorigami Blotting Papers, $12. Avoid sweat mixed with make-up, mixed with sunscreen-related break-outs (not to mention your foundation drizzling from your face), with these Japanese-inspired blotting papers that contain abaca leaves and gold flakes to gently remove oil and sweat. The chic, portable packaging doesn’t hurt, either.
3. Dr. Brandt Pores No More Pore Refiner, $45. Smooth a pearl-size dab of this refiner over your face post cleansing and toning, and you’ll feel your make-up glide on with awe-worthy ease. The super-soft, light-weight refiner will not only instantly get rid of shine, it literally will hide your pores (the refiner has a slight tint).
4. CeraVe Hydradting Cleanser, $10.70. Hydrating and gentle, the best thing about this cleanser is that it will remove dirt, oil, and make-up without causing irriation – even on sensitive, problem-prone, or sunburned skin.
5. Somme Institute Value Pack, $175. This is the ultimate do-it-all kit. The 5-step regimen contained in this kit has Somme Institute’s tradmark MDT5, a revolutionary vitamin/protein delivery system that will help tackle everything from skin texture to signs of aging. The line is also used in a slew of 5-star spas including the Mandarin Oriental.
6. Lancome Pure Focus Deep Pore Refining Scrub with Micro Beads, $24.50. Micro-beads and salicylic acid help unclog pores and prevent break-outs. This is a wonderful once-a-week at-home treatment.