The only thing moving faster than ready-to-wear fads these days, are beauty trends. One season, it’s all about bright orange eyes (thank you Tom Pecheux), and the next, everyone is scrambling to find pearlized neutrals (per Chanel’s Peter Philips). 2010 was filled with countless noteworthy products, including sparkling Deborah Lippmann nail shades and glistening Estee Lauder glosses, but for those that truly managed to stand out from the thousands launched this past year, check out the list below. Best of all, each one of these finds will translate seamlessly into 2011.
1. BareEase & Cream Kit: At this point, it’s pretty clear that bikini waxing isn’t going anywhere. Make the most of the painful situation with this at-home kit that comes with numbing cream and disposable underwear.
2. Clarisonic Opal: Capable of clearing break-outs, reducing the size of pores, and leaving skin baby-bum-soft, the Clarisonic is arguably the best beauty gadget EVER. In 2010, the folks behind the cult-fave came out with the next wave in their sonic skin care line which reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in the eye region.
3. Hourglass Superficial Waterproof Bronzer: One of the most innovative brands on the beauty scene, Hourglass’ waterproof bronzer comes packaged in the brand’s signature 360° swivel mirror compact and with a handy large brush applicator, making it one of the most convenient compacts available.
4. Yes to Blueberries: From the Yes to Carrots team, came yet another line of skincare products derived from the Dead Sea to help those of us on a budget nourish naturally. The latest line targets firmness and fine lines – because there’s nothing like wrinkles and crow’s feet to show the true signs of age.
5. Sephora I.T. Brushes: Shopping Sephora is not always cheap; the notable exception is its namesake brand. This year, they released a comprehensive line of makeup brushes called I.T. Not only are they uber-soft, but they’re utilitarian in design – one color handle per application area to separate face and eyes. They’re super lightweight and come with a cap to keep the brushes from attracting dust and other particles that float around the air and in makeup bags. And best of all, the brushes are self-standing.
6. Tom Ford Private Blend Lip Color: So fabulous that even hard-to-pull-off shades like Vanilla Suede and Black Orchid are commonly sold-out.
7. Ellis Faas Cosmetics: Based on “human colors”, cosmetic maven Ellis Faas launched her namesake line in the US in 2010. With a sleek design, sumptuous color range, and smooth formulation, the line quickly expanded from lips to eyes, and there’s plenty more to follow.
8. Sensai Cellular Performance Lifting Radiance 3D Mask: Whether it’s price, time, or convenience, penciling in spa time is not a common occurrence for most of us. For the ultimate quick fix at-home experience, Sensai came out with a no-drip mask that you don’t need to wash off. High on hydration factor, it also treats your neck, and in as little as 10 minutes, reduces puffiness, increases radiance, and helps boost relaxation.
9. Living Proof Full Thickening Mousse: The latest in the brand’s line of no-fail frizz fighters, this mousse adds texture to flat hair without any of the usual sticky residue.
10. DIY Minx Nails: Countless celebrities including Lady Gaga, Beyonce, and Rihanna have raved about getting Minx nails, but the pricey, time consuming process which entails heating a patterned or monochromatically-colored flexible polymer (similar to a sticker), and then applying it to nails, now has a more convenient alternative thanks to these Sephora by OPI nail sets developed with the help of Minx.