Brows are an art form in themselves. Nobody knows this better than Tonya Crooks, brow specialist to the stars including Megan Fox, Fergie, and Molly Simms. She’s perfected the arch like no one else and while it may not be the most important part of your beauty regimen, brows are vital to maintaing the shape and form of your face.
Here, I ask Tonya Crooks my 3 favorite beauty-related questions:
INDUSTRY BREAK: I actually started out as a painter and was studying at an art school abroad when I was offered freelance makeup work. I needed the money and found that both painting and makeup are about creating something beautiful on a blank canvas, and soon began to do makeup regularly. I then got into brows after doing makeup on models who were beautiful but had terrible eyebrows, which would be very noticeable in printed work. I was only able to make small changes to the eyebrow with makeup, so I decided to learn how to perfect the eyebrow arch so my photos and my print work would look better (as well as the model).
5 Most Coveted Products:
- Make Up For Ever Cake Eyeliner: The precision and wearability of this is simply unsurpassable.
- Make Up For Ever Contour Kit: This allows me to create the most natural look of true shadow as it provides the perfect balance of light and dark for contouring the skin.
- Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage: Great for masking imperfections.
- Rubis Tweezers: Hands down, my favorite tweezers. I find that many other brands dull too quickly, but these last longer.
- Burt’s Bees Res-Q Ointment: I love to use this before waxing brows – it makes the wax stick to the skin less and only to the hair.
FAVORITE LOOK YOU’VE EVER CREATED: My favorite look I’ve ever created would definitely have to be Megan Fox’s brows in the "Love The Way You Lie" video by Eminem and Rihanna. I’ve been working with Megan consistently for about 7 years, and have been able to really work with her and transform her brows. As an artist, I constantly critique my own work – I always feel that there could be a minor tweak or change to something I’ve done. But with Megan’s brows in that video, there was nothing I thought needed fixing and just thought to myself, "Good work, T." It’s very rare that I ever feel that any of my work needs absolutely no changes, so it was really special for me.