If we spent half the time focusing on eating well and exercising as we do on researching quick-fix solutions to our muffin top and thigh dimples, we’d likely be a lot more satisfied with the results. Unfortunately, as Dan Ariely proved in his book “Predictably Irrational”, that’s unlikely to happen any time soon. That doesn’t mean, however, that slimming products should be completely overlooked.
There may not be any product that delivers on its claim to fight cellulite (no over-the-counter beauty product can, even if the box says otherwise), but there are a number of them that do tighten and firm. As to whether they’ll actually trim off an inch or two from your waist, I’m skeptical. However, without a clinical trial, it’s impossible to say for sure if any loss in weight comes from the product or is a result of natural body fluctuations or something lifestyle related (think an extra pilates class or saying no to a doughnut).
So, while we may not know for sure whether Rodial’s Skinny Beach or Sunday Riley’s Liquid Diet are responsible for a more svelte physique, when faced with products that work doubly-duty there’s really nothing to lose. Why get a regular delectably almond-scented moisturizer from L’Occitane when the brand now has one that moisturizes and also purports to slim? A potential extra perk never hurt anyone and so, to that end, here are some beauty finds that claim to help you trim the fat while also hydrating, invigorating, and firming.
1. Rodial Skinny Beach Tinted Sun Protection SPF 15, $49: Immediate firming effect plus gives skin sun protection and a healthy glow thanks to its SPF 15 tinted formulation.
2. mama mio Super Firm Boob Tube, $45: Instantly firms and hydrates, so why limit it to your bust-area? This cream also works well for an instant tightened effect in the bum area.
3. Sunday Riley Liquid Diet, $105: Purports to temporarily drain excess fluid from the stomach-area. I’m dubious and the price makes it quite the investment. That said, if price isn’t a factor, the cream is lightweight and hydrating, making it a great option in the sweltering summer months.
4. L’Occitane Almond Delightful Shape, $38: Whether or not it lives up to its trimming off 1.3 inches claim, it’s hard to resist this delectably scented, moisturizing product.
5. Bliss FatGirlScrub, $38: It may not help rid you of your lumps and bumps as it claims, but exfoliation at least once a week to get rid of dead skin cells and prevent ingrowns is a must and this one certainly delivers in that regard.
6. Givenchy No Surgetics Plasti Sculpt Lifting Serum, $115: An anti-aging serum with a tightening effect, this lightweight product also purports to reshape and slim areas “prone to thickening.”