I've been dying to interview Matin since I started this column. His story is equal parts fascinating and inspirational, and his artistry is pure genius. Matin has worked on enough celebrity faces to catapult him into an entirely different level of makeup artist, which is precisely why I call him a makeup genius! Angelina Jolie, Sarah Jessica Parker, Rachel Weisz, Gwyneth Paltrow, Rose Byrne, and Rachel McAdams are a few of my favorites. The most interesting part of this story is the beginning: Matin has a Master's degree in Molecular Biology. So, how does a scientist become a makeup artist? I'll allow him to explain! Here, Matin answers my three favorite beauty-related questions.
INDUSTRY BREAK: I sold makeup in department stores way back when I was a student. I came back to it six years after I stopped to launch the Laura Mercier line. I met her and her agent – who became mine, and is my agent to this day – Timothy Priano, and the two of them inspired me to quit my job as a research scientist. I moved from San Francisco to New York to assist Laura, and that's how I got started!
FIVE MOST COVETED PRODUCTS:
1. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage – I can make a client's skin perfect with just this one product.
2. My own Khole liner that I make in Afghanistan – It's from a very old recipe that is totally natural and free of toxins and heavy metals. However, it’s not for sale.
3. Guerlain Terra-Cotta Bronzing Cheek Cream – I'm obsessed with the entire Terra-Cotta line.
4. Laura Mercier Invisible Powder – It sets the makeup without taking away the glow. Perfect for more mature clients, and for red carpet.
5. NARS Cream Eye Shadows – They give a perfect nonchalant look, and are edgy and fresh.
FAVORITE LOOK: I'd say Angelina Jolie bleeding from the corner of her mouth, and licking it for Entertainment Weekly. I don't think I need to explain why!