Inevitably, we’re bombarded this time of year with pleas to wear sunscreen. Though I typically stray from redundancies, the number of men, women, and children that still do not lather on protection on a daily basis gives reason to continue to attempt to hit the message home. Did you know that it takes just twenty-one days for a habit to form? Twenty-one days until brushing your teeth felt like it had always been part of your morning regimen; twenty-one days until you put your seatbelt on without thinking. I bet that you can’t imagine life without these details, so why is it that so many people don’t take three weeks to form a life-saving SPF habit? Don’t be one of those people!
To make it even easier, here’s a round up of some of the most noteworthy newly launched SPF buys.
1. StriVectin-SH Age Protect SPF 30 ($49): Formulated with the highest UVA protection (P+++), as well as SPF 30 to protect against the burning UVB rays, this new find also contains the brand’s proprietary NIA-114 molecule that was discovered in skin cancer research to help rebuild skin’s natural protective barrier and reverse signs of aging.
2. Vichy Capital Soleil SPF 30 ($27.50): It’s hard to believe, but Vichy has just now gotten into suncare protection (at least State-side). What makes their new line so remarkable is that when they say “lightweight,” they mean lightweight making this the perfect find for those who complain about the chalky feel of many sunblocks.
3. Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Sun Defense Stick SPF 50 ($20): Lips, hair, scalp, ears, and the bottoms of feet are areas that are often overlooked when it comes to lathering on the SPF, but with this moisturizing new balm from Elizabeth Arden, there’s no excuse not to protect your delicate pucker.
4. Sunbow Zinc Oxide Cream SPF 30, $12.99: Designed with kids in mind this newly launched brand’s SPF products go on in color (yellow for SpongeBob packaging and pink for Dora the Explorer), without staining clothes.
5. MDSolarSciences Mineral Screen Tinted Gel 30+ ($24): Working double-duty as a tinted moisturizer, this mineral SPF is part of a new line developed by a NYC-based dermatologist and oncologist. It works on those with acne-prone skin and has a surprisingly creamy texture for a gel. See here for the doctor’s tried and true way to apply SPF.
6. Olay Complete Defense Daily UV Moisturizer ($14.99): One of the best drugstore buys, this moisturizer has been formulated with SPF 30 to protect skin without clogging pores.