I don't get starstruck very easily, but there's one woman who has been a personal icon ever since I was a little girl: Madonna. Andy LeCompte's hands have tamed her tresses (we've featured him on this very column before), and makeup artist Gina Brooke has worked her magic on the icon's face. Therefore, it's literally 2 degrees of Madonna. Alas, Gina is more than just Madonna's makeup collaborator ("Confessions on a Dance Floor" tour artist comes to mind). Perhaps, Gina is most known for her customized lashes which have graced the eyes of Oprah and Lady Gaga, to name a few. She's also worked her artistry on celebs like Britney Spears, Anne Hathaway, and Naomi Campbell. In addition to being a makeup genius, Gina is also Artistic Director of Hourglass Cosmetics. A busy lady with quite the resume…
I asked Gina my 3 favorite beauty-related questions. Here are her answers:
INDUSTRY BREAK: I’ve always been obsessed with anything beauty-related, but I also loved art and chose to go to art school. While I was at school, my fit model asked me to do her makeup for a photo shoot. A few months after the shoot, the photographer called me and told me that the pictures were published in a magazine. He then asked my availability to do yet another shoot — I knew at that moment that I had the opportunity to change my destiny. I agreed to take the job and then began to work so many shoots that I dropped out of art school and began working full time in the beauty business. That was the best decision I ever made.
5 MOST COVETED PRODUCTS:
1. Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer – This is my number one secret weapon for flawless makeup. Paraben-, oil-, and fragrance-free, it preps skin beautifully and renders makeup completely water-resistant. It also hydrates skin, minimizes pores, and even eliminates redness.
2. Shu Uemura Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/I – I love it because it instantly and effortlessly removes makeup.
3. Hourglass Film Noir Lash Lacquer – This inky black top coat for lashes is a must-have for sexy, dark, glossy lashes. It’s meant to be worn over mascara and I even use it over false lashes to give them extra drama.
4. Intraceuticals Daily Serum – This serum is unlike any other on the market. It instantly hydrates the skin with just one pump.
5. La Don Sensuous Body Butter – This is the best for hydrating and nourishing skin. I can't work without it.
FAVORITE LOOK YOU'VE CREATED: I love Madonna's look from her "Confessions on a Dance Floor" tour. I added real diamonds to the base of her lash and each time the light hit her face, the diamonds reflected back into the audience. It was amazing. She had the same look on her album cover.