Ashunta Sheriff has worked with clients like Keri Hilson, Marisa Tomei, Tracee Ellis Ross, Alicia Keys, and Zoe Kravitz. She's known for her glam makeup approach but, truth be told, her first client was actually a guy — P. Diddy! She's worked under the tutelage of fellow fabulous artists, Pat McGrath and Vincent Longo, to name a few. Ashunta's work is all about giving women the confidence to exude sexiness while still maintaining class.
Here are my 3 favorite beauty-related questions:
INDUSTRY BREAK: I started at MAC and eventually began freelancing and working on music videos, editorial shoots, and TV appearances for celebrities. I made connections and worked on the artist teams with Pat McGrath, Vincent Longo, and Charlie Green. Then I landed my first regular celebrity client — P.Diddy — which led to many others. My makeup philosophy is skin should glow and look flawless yet real. I love to accentuate eyes and make lips look lush and sexy. I am all for natural makeup too, but my favorite is glamming up my clients for major red carpet events.
5 MOST COVETED PRODUCTS:
- Mary Kay TimeWise Luminous Wear Foundation covers skin imperfections, leaving skin with a glow.
- Cover Girl Intense ShadowBlast is perfect on its own or used with eyeshadow to create super intense long wearing eye looks.
- MAC Ruby Woo lipstick works universally on everyone and is the perfect brick red for dressing up or down.
- L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara is my go-to mascara for intense, long and full lush lashes.
- Smashbox Photo Finish Primer helps keep makeup on for hours on end.
FAVORITE LOOK YOU'VE CREATED: Keri Hilson at the 2011 Grammy Awards. I love the smoky blue eyes with glowing skin and nude lip, plus the body shimmer made Keri pop! Alicia Keys at the 2008 Oscar Awards is a timeless look as well. I paired a heavy almost retro-style liner with a berry sheer lip. Marisa Tomei at the 2011 Ghetto film school event was a casual Charity event but we went for clean glowing skin with rosy cheeks and a bold red matte lip — ultra cool and sexy.
images: instyle.com, zimbio.com