For the beauty-obsessed, one of the most exciting aspects to come out of Fashion Week are the makeup trends. From runway to runway, we get to see the artistry of the craft come alive. Some of these looks are theatrical and unwearable while others are a graduation from the prior season. But every runway gives us a glimpse into that season’s must-have trends.
We asked M·A·C Cosmetics Senior Artist Keri Blair to discuss the top color trends she’s spotted this Fashion Week.
The Fashion Spot: What are the most important trends to come out of NYFW Spring 2012?
Keri Blair: New York always seems to produce a really versatile woman, she can be found as the working woman uptown by day and lounging with her friends in the Lower East Side by night.
The trends tend to fluctuate from city to city, however, so far in New York the trends are:
Heavy brows at Altuzarra; Healthy skin at Diane von Furstenberg
1. Eyebrows — Brows are large and in charge this season, brushed up and bushy, well groomed or even lightened, but they are a detail that has not been ignored. At Altuzarra, Tom Pecheux blackened the brows using brow pencils and black eye shadow!
2. Healthy Skin (Athleticism) — Very hydrated skin that is perfected with foundation. We are seeing this on the runways of Carolina Herrera, DVF and Doo.Ri. We use a lot of product to make it look effortless and like a perfect canvas. M·A·C Cosmetics foundation in Face & Body andM·A·C Cosmetics Matchmaster SPF15 Foundation are being used consistently backstage. M·A·C PRO Basic Red Pigment mixed with M·A·C PRO Lash Mixing Medium to create bright, bold, red lashes which matched the bold lippy as well.
3. Pops of bold color all over — We are even seeing RED on eyes. This season, at Katie Gallagher, Javier Romero used M.A.C Basic Red pigment mixed with MAC PRO Lash Mixing Medium to create bright, bold, red lashes which matched the bold lippy as well.
Soft metallics at Elie Tahari; Fresh innocence at Preen
4. Washes of soft color (pastels) — Soft blends of metallics at Elie Tahari gave a warm glow to the eyes and skin. Try using M·A·C Cosmetics Goldmine Eye Shadow and M·A·C PRO Shine Mixing Medium. At Preen, Val Garland gave the girls the look of fresh innocence by using newfor Spring/Summer 2012 Preferred Pink and Fully Ripe lip colors on the cheeks and then adding a sweet peach accent to the lips with M·A·C Cosmetics Tendertone in Purring.
Color on color at Prabal Gurung; Glossy eye and matte skin at Rad Hourani
5. Color on color — Charlotte Tilbery used multiple layers of pinks and burgundy to create a real power play at Prabal Gurung. Pucker Up lips will have it this season! Using dark and light colors together to create dimenson.
6. Multiple textures (Glossy eye against matte skin) — Try mattifying the skin then applying a hint of shine in all of the right place, like cheekbones, bridge of nose and lid of the eye. You can see this trend at Rad Hourani – androgyny alert!!!
tFS: How do these trends differ from last spring/summer?
KB: I find that the trends tend to evolve from season to season. For example, the intensity of color or placement has moved from the lip to the cheek. Spring always gives us a chance to play with a brighter, cleaner color palette. Soft coral pinks, lavenders and even nudes are so wearable and accessible! Last season we saw lots of plays on color and raw refined skin textures. The 1970s seemed to have a huge influence on the colors and feeling of the makeup we saw on the runways. I will be interested to see where this season’s trends will take us but so far I have seen a huge return to the AMERICAN WOMAN: clean, athletic, and well put together.
tFS: What is the inspiration for the Spring 2012 color trends?
KB: I have found that athleticism and the feel of sportswear are heavy influences this season. A sophisticated power-player who could also be confused as the girl next door is what we are seeing.
tFS: What are the must-have products for Spring 2012?
KB: M·A·C Cosmetics Eye Brows, M·A·C Cosmetics Brow Set and M·A·C Cosmetics Matchmaster SPF15 Foundation is a must, creamy lipsticks in pinks, nudes, and corals; and purple eye shadows. Try Pro Longwear Eye Shadow in Plush. It’s going to be a great season to get your brows groomed and express your mood through pops of color (on any feature you choose).
MAC Cosmetics and their artists are responsible for creating the looks at shows like Jason Wu, Alexander Wang, Diane Von Furstenberg and Peter Som, among many others. You can follow Keri on Twitter @MAC_Keri_B.