Dutch transplant Ellis Faas is more than merely a celebrity makeup artist (although her clients have included Kate Winslet, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Annie Lennox, Marion Cotillard and Hillary Swank), she's a visionary. With her cutting edge makeup line, Ellis Faas, and her artistic flair for painting faces, Ellis is changing the game of beauty one fantastical look at a time.
I asked Ellis my favorite beauty questions. Read on for her answers — and a very useful beauty tip!
INDUSTRY BREAK: At the start of my career, I hardly worked in fashion. I did a couple of movies, tons of music videos, and even advertising for the pharmaceutical industry where I used special effects to mimic diseases. When I took my first steps into the world of fashion, I was a bit of the odd-one-out. My international break came after I met Mario Testino in Amsterdam. From all of the portfolios he had reviewed, Mario chose to work with me on a shoot for L'uomo Vogue. We clicked, and he taught me how wonderful 'fashion people' can be, and thereby he dragged me into that world and all over the world.
- ELLIS FAAS Creamy Eyes – The best, easiest and longest lasting texture ever.
- ELLIS FAAS Mascara – An ultra black, ultra creamy formula that thickens your lashes.
- Dermalogica Ultra Calming Mist – It moisturises even the most dried out airplane skin and does not ruin your makeup.
- Strivectin Neck Cream – I believe that it works.
- Dermanew Home Microdermabrasion System – My skin looks and feels amazing after using it.
FAVORITE LOOK: I have worked with so many fabulous photographers and have done so many shoots with them that by choosing just one, I am killing tons of darlings. but here is an image (below) for Vogue Paris with Guido Mocafico. Above all, Guido is known for his still-life pictures and gorgeous photos of snakes and jellyfish. What I love about the many beauty shots we did is that, although they have a simplicity, they have such impact.
BEST BEAUTY SECRET: Apply lipstick (and many other products) with your finger, because it creates the most sexy, natural look.