I know I am not the only one this has happened to: you get all dolled up, put on your lipstick, and a few minutes later you walk out the door with peeling lips.THE HORROR!!! I am so accustomed to exfoliating my face that I forgot about the need to exfoliate my lips. Exfoliation can help remove the dry, dead skin on your lips and when done regularly, you may never have to deal with flaky lips again. Here are a few tips on how to pucker up with your most beautiful lips this season.
Toothbrush + Petroleum Jelly
This one is my favourite tip, I read it when I was 16 in Seventeen magazine and it has stuck with me since then. Who knew the wonders a toothbrush and petroleum jelly can do for your lips?
- Apply a bit of petroleum jelly on a toothbrush with soft, straight bristles.
- Brush the toothbrush against your lips in a circular motion. Be sure to leave a bit of petroleum jelly on your lips to bring back some moisture. Easy as 1-2-3.
Toothbrush + Baking Soda
If you don’t have petroleum jelly at home (or simply would prefer not to use it), here is another simple similar tip.
- Mix baking soda with water until it forms a paste.
- Take an old toothbrush, making sure again that the bristles are soft and straight. If you don’t have a toothbrush, feel free to use a washcloth.
- Rub the paste in a circular motion all over your lips.
- Make sure to rinse your lips afterwards and apply moisturizer to your lips.
Honey and Sugar Scrub
- Mix a bit of sugar, honey, and olive oil. (Be sure to use less sugar than honey.)
- Apply it in a circular motion on your lips and leave it on for a few minutes. Be sure not to scrub too hard, otherwise you risk leaving your lips sore and even worse, still chapped.