Lip injections and cosmetic treatments are among the most popular with young women, but there are a number of techniques you can use to change the shape of your lips just using your makeup. You don’t need special plumpers or expensive fillers to make your lips appear fuller but traditional methods, such as overdrawing, can look fake and draw unwanted attention. Here’s how to get fuller lips or change the appearance of your lips to look thinner with only a few subtle changes.
If you want your lips to appear fuller:
- Use lighter colors with glossy finishes. The shine will reflect the light and make the lips appear fuller.
- Exfoliate your lips with a soft toothbrush or lip scrub, which will not only improve texture but also increase circulation.
- Apply highlighter or a lighter shade of lipstick to the center of your lips. This will help add dimension to thin or flat lips. A glitter lip gloss applied in the center of the lips will give the same effect.
- You can also use the techniques you use to contour your face on your lips. Apply highlighter to the cupid’s bow and a soft brown liner under the center of your bottom lip, blending softly with your finger. This will look like a shadow falling from under your lip.
If you want your lips to look thinner:
- Skip the lip liner. Keeping a soft edge to your lips will make them appear smaller.
- Use neutral tones similar to your natural color. Brights and light colors draw more attention to the fullness.
- Use matte or cream formulas to limit light reflecting particles.
- If you want a bolder color, apply a more pigmented color in the center of the lips and blend outwards.