Red lips have been having a major beauty moment the past few seasons but this spring, there's a new hue in town fighting for your attention. Orange lips, while somewhat unconventional, are easier to do and more flattering than you might think. We asked Chad Hayduk, Co-Founder and Creative Director of Three Custom Color Specialists, for his tips for nailing this en vogue look.
Why orange is having a moment
A lot of us are afraid of rocking red lips, but orange? Yeah, they’re not usually your first choice. But Hayduk says orange lips are here to stay, and for good reason: "Oranges can sometimes be misconstrued as likely to make someone look more sallow. Orange, in fact, is a terrific color to wear as it can actually brighten the skin and being that 75% of the global market is warm complected, orange is a perfect color for most!"
Find your perfect hue
Whether you're pale, tan or somewhere in between, there’s a flattering orange lipstick out there for you! Chad offers his insight.
- Warm skin tones: If you have more yellow/golden tones to your skin, look for yellow based oranges. If the lipstick contains shimmer, look for those with gold, bronze or copper flecks.
- Cool skin tones: Does your skin have more of a pink or red tone to it? Lean towards red or coral based oranges for a more natural look. If there is shimmer in the lipstick, look for those with silver, opal or white shimmer.
- Light complexion: Keep your eyes out for true oranges or tones that are a bit lighter or more pastel.
- Medium complexion: Watch for shades that are slightly darker than your natural lip color. Wanna go bold? Try a vibrant, bright orange!
- Deep complexion: Go for a browner or more brick base to your orange for your perfect hue.
There's a whole world filled with amazing orange lip goodies, but these are the four that really stand out to us.
- Light: Let your fair complexion shine with a soft shade like Topshop Makeup's Peach Lipstick.
- Medium: Show off your in between complexion with a vibrant hue like Sonia Kashuk Satin Luxe Lip Color in Vivid Coral.
- Deep: Flatter your beautiful deep skin with a made-for-you shade like CoverGirl Queen Collection's Into the Red.
- Universally flattering: Warm meets cool with this Poppy Lip and Cheek Stain from Three Custom Color Specialists.
Now that you've figured out your skin tone and selected your perfect orange, it's time to dive right in and work some beauty magic. And a little technique never hurt, so we asked Chad to share his top three tips:
- Have fun! Things like hair color and tattoos take a bit more work to reverse a split second impulse, but you can take a lipstick off in seconds, so don't hesitate: "Remember, lip color comes off. Feel free to play and see what looks best on you."
- Balance is key. You wouldn't wear a red lipstick and a smokey eye, would you? We hope not! The same goes with orange lipstick: Choose to highlight either your eyes or lips, but not both.
- Start off small! Afraid of orange lipstick? Start with some baby steps, says Chad: "If you are afraid of orange lipstick, try an orange lip gloss or lip stain. The sheer color will blend in with your natural lip color and give a softer, more subtle orange look."
Now orange you glad you read this (we couldn't resist!)?