Cleansing your skin is a no-brainer when it comes to fighting acne and maintaining healthy skin. One thing many of us tend to forget, however, is exfoliation. Whether you have dry, oily, sensitive or normal skin, exfoliating skin on a regular basis has many benefits that will maximize the results of your skincare routine, in addition to rejuvenating skin.
Exfoliation is the process of removing flaky, “old” skin and dead cells from the surface of the epidermis. It’s a form of cleansing and it’s important to implement in order to allow new skin cells to rise to the surface. Here are five solid reasons for sticking to this important skincare step.
- Buffing away those dead skin cells will keep pores from becoming clogged. We all know congested pores lead to blackheads and breakouts.
- Skin’s renewal process will speed up and encourage healthy cells to appear, allowing a glowy and brighter complexion to take center stage.
- Your serums and creams will be absorbed at lightning speed when the dermis is free of layers of blockage.
- Dry skin looks older and is less elastic, which equals very visible fine lines and wrinkles. Keep skin’s luster in check and moisture balanced by exfoliating regularly.
- Skin’s texture will greatly benefit from healthy new cells. And who doesn’t want softer skin?
There are different methods of exfoliation, like in-office chemical peels or an at-home facial scrub that can be purchased at your local drugstore. Over-the-counter scrubs are a great way to go since they are inexpensive and easy to use. They are gently abrasive in texture and contain salt or grounds from ingredients that aid in the exfoliation process. Depending on the type of formula you choose, exfoliating two to three times per week is recommended. And just like that, you are on your way to amazing skin.