‘Tis the season for bright manis and equally vibrant lip colors. The best way to accentuate a gorgeous summer tan is with a bold lipstick or gloss. Whether you’re into a blazing red or a pop of iridescent pink, a bright hue is a foolproof way to elevate your makeup look. But in order to keep your lippie of choice from flatlining and fading, follow these tips for a flawless application.
- Prep. Getting your pout in check before applying color is always important, but this step is crucial for longevity and luminosity of your lipstick of choice. Exfoliate using a gentle formula made for lips and follow it up with a nourishing lip balm.
- Line. Many of the pros recommend lining lips with a color that matches your natural lip color, not your lipstick. This is because the liner should act as a template, plus the lighter base will ensure that your shade will stand out even more.
- Apply. To get the best result in terms of radiance from your hue, apply lipstick directly from the tube. By doing so, the rich pigment will cling on seamlessly. Make sure to blot with a tissue in between each coat so that the emollients are lifted and the pigment stays in place.
- Set. Use a blotting sheet in between lips and gently press down to set your color. To clean up any mistakes, use a small makeup brush and loose setting powder to soften edges.
- Balance. A bright lip is a statement in itself, so keep the rest of your makeup at a minimum to avoid looking overdone. If you’re into statement-making makeup, then play up lashes or contour cheekbones to show off your fearlessness.
Now that you have a guide for how to rock a bright and bold lip, here are five of our favorite colors to try this summer.