Ever wonder how stars like Lauren Conrad, Kim Kardashian and Eva Longoria achieve perfect, voluptuous buns that stay in place all day (and night) long? Two words: Sock bun. And guess what? It’s super easy. If you have a sock and scissors, you can do it at home right now. It’s the perfect ‘do for any occasion, whether worn with casual jeans and a tee or a formal evening gown. Check out the steps below for tips on how to do a sock bun. You can thank us later.
To do a sock bun, you’ll need:
- A sock (ankle or mid-shin length)
- A hair elastic
- Bobby pins
- Make a sock bun: Take scissors and cut the toe end of the sock off. Start rolling until you’ve officially formed your very own sock bun. Yes, it’s that easy.
- Create a ponytail: Decide where you’d like your bun to fall on your head and create a ponytail using a hair elastic.
- Tuck and roll: Pull your ponytail through the center of the donut and begin spreading the end of your ponytail around the sock bun. Then, start tucking your hair while rolling the donut toward your head and continue until you reach the base of your ponytail.
- Tidy loose ends: If you missed small pieces of hair along the way, no fret. Use bobby pins to secure them in place. And spritz hairspray to ensure the bun stays in place.
And if you don’t have any socks you’re willing to part with, you can always purchase a pre-made sock bun like this one from Sultra. Use the same directions above, simply skip step one!