The Shag Crop
For short hair goals, look no further than Demi Lovato's shaggy, cropped bob. If you’re flaunting a similarly layered look, follow Butterfly Studio Salon senior stylist Vanessa Fernandez’s tips on how to replicate the super fresh style.
- Using a prep spray, such as Shu Uemura Wonder Worker, spritz a few pumps all over wet hair.
- With a small brush and the blowdryer set on high, smooth hair. For a more textured look like Demi’s, keep the brush at a low elevation.
- Then, using your fingers, polish the back by pulling pieces back and forth.
- Finish with a beach or texture spray (try Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray) to seal the deal on that perfectly undone finish.
The Wavy Midi
Chrissy Teigen just cut a few inches off her hair and is rocking the look of the moment: the midi with a barely-there wave. For help on recreating Chrissy's subtle waves, Fernandez breaks it down:
- Blowdry hair semi-straight with a small, flat brush (a Mason Pearson brush works best) and a dime size of leave-in conditioner, like Oribe Crème, for hydration and shine.
- When dry, take vertical sections and wrap the hair only midway around the barrel of a half-inch curling iron, leaving out the ends so they stay straight. To mimic Chrissy’s subtle cool-girl, sexy waves, alternate sections by going in different directions.
The Boxer Braid
Celebs from Sasha Obama to Kim Kardashian have been spotted sporting parallel braids recently. Though the style isn't new (black girls and Bavarian fräuleins have been rocking them for centuries), the center-parted braid style is more popular than ever. The key to making the look modern is to juxtapose the street-wise favorite with a bold lip. At Creatures of the Wind, the look was just that — a contrast of the tough with the glam. And for those who need to brush up on their braiding skills, here’s a step-by-step lesson on the look hairstylist Anthony Turner created for the show.
- Create a strong center part and prep hair with Bumble and bumble Dryspun Finish and Thickening Full Form Mousse for tension (no flyaways).
- Apply Brilliantine on the fingertips for added grip and create a raised cornrow on both sides, starting at the hairline and braiding back behind the ear, securing at the nape with an elastic and finish the braid through the ends (allowing the braid to sit on the shoulders).
- Apply thickening hairspray as needed to keep the braids clean.
- Finish with hairspray to calm flyaways.
The Nordic Knot
If your hair is long, try the double-knotted creation that hairstylist Thomas Osborn debuted at the Jonathan Simkhai Fall 2016 runway presentation.
- Prep dry hair with Catwalk by TIGI Bodifying Spray and blowdry with fingers in a backward and upward motion.
- Using a flat iron, pull small sections of hair backward at the crown. Think Elsa from Frozen.
- Then rake hair backward and create a knot at the nape of the neck; secure with a clear elastic. Create a second knot and secure another elastic.
- Set the style with hairspray. Then spritz with a gloss spray, like TIGI Camera Ready Shine Spray, for extra brilliance.
Image: Courtesy of TIGI
The Twisted Punk Braid
For those who like to walk on the wild side, the punkified look at the Hervé Léger by Max Azria Fall 2016 collection may be the way to go. This style works on long or slightly short hair and looks best on hair with some texture.
- Apply a small amount of TRESemmé Perfectly (un)Done Wave Creation Sea Foam to the roots and rough dry hair to enhance its natural texture.
- Create an uneven deep side part and begin braiding and twisting from the forehead to the nape of the neck.
- Secure the twisted braid with a small elastic and bobby pins, allowing small strands to fall out.
- Run a straightener over the top of the hair at the part line and shake hair over the shoulders to cover up the end of the braid.
- Finish by spraying hairspray for touchable hold.
Image: Courtesy of TRESemmé
New Wave Curls
Short and tapered on the sides while slightly longer in the front, this breezy, wash-and-wear style is perfect for those on the go.
- Just smooth on your favorite styling product to minimize frizz and emphasize your hair’s shine.
- Then pull down a few of your coily springs over your forehead and you’re good to go.
Ever been smitten with a hairstyle your fave celeb posted on Instagram or a look straight from the runway but had no idea how to recreate the style for yourself? Well, we’ve got you covered. From short hair to long hair, textured to straight, here are six cool hairstyles that will give you the urge to speed dial your stylist right now.
[ Next: 40 Hot Hair Color Trends for 2016 ]