Designer Miuccia Prada's two fashion labels, Prada and Miu Miu, have both just released their Spring 2014 video ad campaigns (the print ads dropped earlier this month). Instead of gobbling our way through this delicious feast of advertising blindly, with no strategy, we're going bite-by-bite with the timeless game, "Would You Rather?"
Watch the commercials below and then scroll down to join us for this important tournament, located at the bottom of this post.
- Prada — Eighteen emerging models: Julia Bergshoeff, Dorota Kullova, Ashleigh Good, Gracie Van Gastel, Amanda Murphy, Viktor Van Pelt, Maggie Jablonski, Lieke Van Houten, Maja Salamon, Ola Rudnicka, Sabrina Ioffreda, Magdalena Jasek, Nastya Sten, Cindy Bruna, Anna Ewers, Ophelie Guillermand, Malaika Firth and Lexi Boling.
- Miu Miu — Four emerging actresses: Elle Fanning, Bella Heathcote, Lupita Nyong'o, Elizabeth Olsen.
Winner? Sorry, but eighteen models is way. too. many. models. Miu Miu.
- Prada — Legendary fashion photographer and model famemaker, Steven Meisel.
- Miu Miu — Prolific photographers, artists, life partners, parents and would-be lifestyle brand, Inez & Vinoodh.
Winner? Meisel's sway over the modeling industry is impressive, but Inez & Vinoodh are not no scrub. Tie.
- Prada — Watching a sports game, a movie, attending a concert, the ads sketch a series of vignettes in which "the spectators become the spectacle."
- Miu Miu — With super fast cuts and liquid effects which call to mind a music video, the commercial images shows the four young women protected by the privacy of their imaginary fantasy bedrooms.
Winner? Prada's campaign concept is very witty, but it would be a stretch to say that it connects to the designer's previous remarks about the Spring 2014 collection and feminism; Mrs. Prada said that participating in today's "debate about women" had been her inspiration for the season. Perhaps more than any other major luxury fashion house, Prada is a label about ideas, and this season there seems to be, to my mind, a disconnect in that area. Miu Miu's concept on the other hand, fits well with the brand's "little sister" identity and the Spring 2014 collection, which told quirky, coming-of-age story. Miu Miu.
- Prada — The label produced three tight, self-contained silent narratives, differentiating stories with props and stage direction.
- Miu Miu — The video's fast cuts and the delirious, enthralling performances of its stars result in a piece that's rich with mood.
Winner? Miu Miu's campaign is stellar, but Prada's is the one that's likely to be remembered for seasons to come. Prada.
Prada — one / Tie — one / Miu Miu — two
It was close, but I would rather Miu Miu.