Earlier today, Chanel officially dropped its Métiers d'Art Paris‐Dallas collection campaign; as announced late last year, the ads star Kristen Stewart and were photographed by designer Karl Lagerfeld.
In an interview with the British publication Grazia Daily, the actress spoke at length about how "amazing" it was to shoot a Chanel campaign with Lagerfeld.
On the red carpet, Stewart has been known to exude a strong don't-give-a-f*ck-about-fashion vibe (lots of hoodies and slouching and scowling), but she's maintained strong ties to fashion brands and designers over the course of her career. In fact, her relationship with Nicolas Ghesquière was legendary: "I will totally run away with you," she reportedly told the designer when he was fired from Balenciaga (Stewart did not actually cut ties with the house, and remained the face of the brand's Florabotanica fragrance after Alexander Wang came on board).
Whether or not things are still warm and fuzzy between Stewart and Ghesquière, the actress is certainly throwing some of her love in Lagerfeld's direction. Maybe she gets a commision on each Lagerfeld-related compliment as part of her Chanel contract?
From the Grazia interview:
- "When you meet him, he's the opposite of intimidating, he is everything that my experiences taught me about true artists which is that they do what they do because they love it and they need to do it and they have fun doing it."
- "Everything today [on the set] was like breathing, it was so easy and he knew as soon as he saw what he wanted, it was like 'done!' It was effortless and he's awesome and he's so sweet."
- "It always felt like a privilege to wear Chanel and to be around Karl who is an artist that, for me, constantly inspires. He manages to never stop moving forward while remaining completely quintessential."
- "The idea of Karl, what he has accomplished, the role he has created for himself in the arts and in society. The only intimidating thing about him really is that scary unapproachable facade which is something people project onto him I think. Because when you meet him or you have the opportunity to watch him work or in my case 'work with him' he is so awesome."
- "Basically and obviously, he is so much more than a fashion designer; he is a true renaissance man, one of the greatest artists of our time."