Last night at Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall, the American fashion community gave itself and a few lucky designers and industry personalities a huge pat on the back at the annual CFDA Fashion Awards. The affair was attended by the usual stock of stylish celebs: Lupita Nyong'o was on hand to present Womenswear Designer of the Year, a nearly naked Rihanna came to collect her Fashion Icon award in a see-through crystal-encrusted custom Adam Selman gown, nipples on full display (natch), with a sparkly headpiece to match. Even Solange Knowles was in attendance, serving up some serious 70s glamour, her days of elevator dropkicking seeming to be far behind her.
As planned, designer Tom Ford accepted the Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award and Diversity Coalition head Bethann Hardison was honored with the Founders Award for her continued work to make the fashion industry a more diverse place. As for the rest of the lot, here are the winners who were announced last night:
- Womenswear Designer of the Year: Joseph Altuzarra
- Menswear Designer of the Year: Maxwell Osbourne and Dao-Yi Chow for Public School
- Accessories Designer of the Year: Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen for The Row
- Swarovski Award for Womenswear: Shane Gabier & Christopher Peters for Creatures of the Wind
- Swarovski Award for Menswear: Tim Coppens
- Swarovski Award for Accessories: Irene Neuwirth