Kanye West’s full lecture at the LA Trade Technical College was released this week, and, because we’re feeling so bloody inspired after watching it, we’re sharing the best bits with you.
Dr. West, if you will, delivered some pretty motivating words throughout his 7-minute stint on the stand, focusing on his transition from musician to designer, and touching on such subjects as creativity, success and craftsmanship.
Seeing as he’s the stepson-in-law of a very inspiring motivational speaker, it’s not that surprising that we were left wanting to get off our behinds and make something of ourselves after listening.
Check out some of the most inspirational, motivational, and all-round enthralling things Yeezy had to say below.
- “Artists, or the most successful artists, are as close to who they were when they were five years old, or four years old, or three years old.”
- “As a son of two educators, I felt it was more of my responsibility to enforce, whenever I had the opportunity, and speak up on what was actually right, in my eyes. And, by default, I got a lot of haters since then.”
- “Even for me as a successful musician, in order for me to make the transition [to fashion], it was really all but impossible. People always try to box you in to what they know you best for.”
- “I empathise with anyone in this era who’s ever loved fashion, because it’s not like loving the idea of being a lawyer, becoming a doctor.”
- “When kids tell their parents that they want to become a fashion designer, it’s usually not met with the same responses to traditional, hailed career choices.”
- “The average celebrity designer, their fingers don’t get bloody. They don’t pick up needles. They don’t know how to sew. They don’t know how to pattern-cut.”
- “I respect people who have a craft, who have taken their time to learn and hone their craft, and deliver something or quality, of passion, to the world.”
- “Never stop fighting, no matter what anyone says, no matter how they try to compromise you, compromise your vision. If it’s in your gut, if it’s in your soul, there’s nothing, there’s no worldly possessions that can come between you and your expression.”
- “Usually when you’re the absolute best, you get hated on the most.”
- “As a race, as human beings, we’re a blip in existence. Death is promised. So what do you do with your life? How do you make the most of it? How do you make your voice the loudest?”
Yeezy has spoken. Feeling inspired yet? Watch the full video for yourself below.