We used to think white lace was a look best left for bridal gowns and doilies, but as runways and celebrities have been proving, there's no fabric more chic this summer. First set on the Spring/Summer 2011 runways of Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana, celebs have taken off with the trend in looks that range from haute hippie to garden party pretty.
At the Tribeca Film Festival in NYC, Chloe Sevigny took her open-back Shumaq white lace dress from the wedding chapel to the red carpet by grunging it up with boots from her collection for Opening Ceremony. A very pregnant Jessica Alba could've been mistaken for a bride at a shotgun wedding if it weren't for the decidedly boho vibe of the white lace empire waist maxi dress she wore to the Covenant House gala in L.A. The actress reminds us of an additional benefit of the trendy fabric—it's sure to enhance your tan.
Sticking with an above-the-knee hemline is a great way to avoid looking too sweet in white lace, as Ariadne Artiles demonstrated at the Pepe Jeans launch in Madrid. The Spanish model brightened up her shift with studded boots, beaded jewelry, and loose waves. Stylista Whitney Port is also in on the lovely lace trend, but took it to a glam new level while promoting Snapple World Tea Day. What looked like lace on the ivory dress she donned with Tacori jewelry was actually intricate beadwork.
Whether you're Victorian-inspired or channeling an eighties Madonna vibe, here are our shopping picks for white lace dresses inspired by these trendsetting celebs:
1. Love the long-sleeves and full skirt of Sevigny's dress? Try the Topshop White Lace Flippy Dress – $96.
2. Go long like Alba in the Ella Moss Enchantment Dress – $198.
3. Or keep it short and sweet like Artiles and add cut-outs to boot in the River Island Pique Pinny Dress – $86.16.
4. Pick an ivory shade like Port's in the Gorgeous Grad Dress – $64.99.
5. Resort wear is probably the farthest you can get from bridal, and the Nightcap White Lace Caftan – $319 is a whimsically beachy way to try to the look.
Images: C. Smith/WENN.com, FayesVision/WENN.com, Ivan Nikolov/WENN.com, fotos.lainformacion.com