It Girls are known for their buzz-making style. Whether it’s a rocker edge, high-low mix, vintage revival, or somewhere in between, the four cool girls on our list pretty much have it all. So, how to channel a bit of Chanel Iman’s easy-going elegance or girl-about-town (and girlfriend of Terry Richardson) Jen Brill’s fetching je ne sais quoi? To help you with your own trendsetting pursuits, we picked out the pieces that capture the spirit of each girl, from downtown grit to full-blown glamour. You may never have Behati’s legs or Alexa’s eyes, but at least you can wear their pants for a day—metaphorically, anyway.
Who She Is: Adorable, auspiciously spunky British television presenter and model
Her Style: She may be a TV gal, but Alexa’s star rose like wildfire thanks to her creativity with clothes. With an uncanny knack for mixing Topshop with Proenza with vintage finds, Alexa’s quirky, off-beat style is always inspiring and always one step ahead.
It Girl Goods:
1. Proenza Schouler Large Poncho Bag, $1,995, available at Barneys.
Though she’s practically toted her trusty Mulberry briefcase bag to bits, we can also see Alexa rocking this casual, boys-meets-school girl-style PS1 tote.
2. American Apparel Melange Jersey Pocket Skirt, $30, available at American Apparel.
Pair this with a cute cardigan for a modern take on the classic British schoolgirl uniform.
3. Knitted Double-Breasted Jacket, $80, available at Topshop.
Military with a vintage feel.
4. Urban Renewal Vintage Menswear Blazer, $58, available at Urban Outfitters.
Because it’s structured and casual all at once.
5. Grandpa’s Pocket Watch Necklace, $28, available at Urban Outfitters.
The kind of heirloom piece that Alexa would undoubtedly love to find in an old vintage shop.
6. Karly Penny Loafer, $90, available at Topshop.
Loafers may seem like an unexpected choice for chic footwear, but that’s why the Brit It girl keeps us guessing in a good way.
Who She Is: Photo agent, girl-about-town, and partner to everyone’s favorite photog, Terry Richardson
Her Style: Equal parts vamp and downtown ingenue, Jen somehow manages to make looking sexy part of her day job. But if ever there was a girl who can walk the streets of the Lower East Side in 5-inch YSL heels, it’s Jen.
It Girl Goods:
1. NARS lipstick in Manhunt, $24, available at Sephora.
For the trademark red lip Jen almost never leaves home without.
2. YSL Tribute Platform Sandals in Navy, $760, available at Saks Fifth Avenue.
Though her beloved purple suede YSL platforms are no longer available, we can totally see her working these patent navy gems.
3. Tom Binns Effleurer Cuff, $495, available at Shop Bop.
The perfect statement piece for a high-impact finish.
4. Silence & Noise Back-Zip Pencil Skirt, $49.99, available at Urban Outfitters.
Sexy, prim, and cool all at once, pair with a form-fitting tank or corset top for a body-con look.
5. D&G Dolce & Gabbana Signature Corset Top, $345, available at Net-A-Porter.
Because nothing’s better for showing off your assets.
6. American Apparel Nylon Spandex Micro-Mesh Bodysuit, $26, available at American Apparel.
A sexy basic that looks great layered over your favorite Agent Provocateur bra.
Who She Is: Her good looks and hot ‘n heavy stint as the rich girl in the Virgins’ video "Rich Girls" nabbed her our Model of the Year award. Did you also know that she was discovered by the same scout who discovered Kate Moss? Now that’s sayin’ something.
Her Style: Though she’s fronted everything from Victoria’s Secret to Chanel, we may just like her off-duty style even more: think comfy, punky, lived-in and beat-up basics layered and mis-mash-matched to perfection. Just check out that sequined dress and garter belt get-up in the Virgins video!
It Girls Goods:
1. Truly Madly Deeply Pocket Tee, $32, available at Urban Outfitters.
The basic white tee that looks perfectly worn in, slept in, and partied in, again and again.
2. Urban Renewal Levi’s Destroyed Denim Shorts, $28, available at Urban Outfitters.
Layer over some ripped tights for instant access to Alexander Wang’s cool-people clique.
3. Dr. Martins Beatrice, $99.95, available at D Musa.
The model-off-duty footwear de rigeur.
4. Striped Asymmetric Waistcoat, $80, available at Topshop.
Androgynous and form-fittingly-flattering all at once.
5. Alexander Wang Double-Breasted Wool Jacket, $625, available at Saks Fifth Avenue.
Throw this over a casual tank or concert tee to add a bit of dressed-up insouciance to an otherwise casual look.
6. The Virgins Self-Titled Album, $10.97, available at Amazon.
The soundtrack for every downtown girl and MOD alike.
Who She Is: Top model with killer name.
Her Style: Unlike Behati, Chanel does uptown glamour with a youthful twist. The fresh-faced teen’s style IQ is light years ahead of her age, and she’s not afraid to experiment with different trends, whether it’s a full-on androgynous suit from Obedient Sons & Daughters or a super-sexy mini-dress and towering heels.
It Girl Goods:
1. MM6 Leather and Canvas Bomber Jacket, $995, available at E Luxury.
Adds insta-cool to any outfit, no height minimum required.
3. The Annie Sunglasses, $40, available at Nasty Gal.
Ms. Iman undoubtedly has the Chanel version, but these are just as attention-grabbing.
4. See by Chloé Medium Slouchy Hobo, $570, available at Net-A-Porter.
Sure, the It bag may be history, but Chanel never leaves the house without the latest arm candy in tow.
5. One Shoulder Frill Playsuit, $125, available at Topshop.
This playsuit takes the ubiquitous trend and makes it fun and youthful with the one-shoulder cut and ’80’s frill detailing.
6. Balenciaga Ankle Boot With Pointed Toe, $400, available at Browns Fashion.
Chanel wears her ankle boots with everything from skinnies to ultra-short minis.