In an effort to demonstrate how anyone can get the three key hair looks for fall, we enlisted hairstylist Rochelle La Bar and three models.
Using drugstore brand Herbal Essence’s hair products, La Bar was able to achieve three very disparate looks – voluminous, sleek, and tousled.
Follow her quick and easy steps, and no matter how much of a hair novice you may be, you’ll be able to achieve these eye-catching looks in a pinch.
Voluminous Look – Candice
1. Wash hair with Herbal Essence Body Envy Shampoo and Conditioner to prep the hair.
2. Towel dry wet hair and run Herbal Essence Body Envy Mousse through the towel-dried hair with your fingertips.
3. Blow dry and hang your head upside down so you can get some volume.
4. Once hair is dry, take the crown section and roll it into three barrel curls, clipping them in with pin curl clips.
5. While the barrel curls are cooling, take the vertical sections around the crown section and use a curling iron to achieve loose spiral curls.
6. Take down the barrel curls one at a time, starting with the one furthest away from your forehead. Lift hair up vertically and comb with a boar bristle brush. Spray with Herbal Essence Body Envy Hairspray. Hold that section up once again, and backcomb from root to end.
7. Repeat step six with the middle barrel curl.
8. Take the third barrel curl out and repeat step six. Then, smooth the hair over the first two sections with Herbal Essence Body Envy Mousse. If you’re having trouble getting the hair to stay slicked back, pin the hair with two crossed bobby pins.
9. Spray the finished look with Herbal Essence Body Envy Hairspray.
Sleek Look – Tara
1. Wash hair with Herbal Essence Dangerously Straight Shampoo and Conditioner to prep the hair.
2. Towel dry wet hair. Apply the Herbal Essence Long term Split End Protector from the mid length to the ends of the hair with your fingers (do not apply at the roots because you don’t want to weight the hair down).
3. Apply nickel size amount of Herbal Essence Set Me Up Extra Hold Hair Gel. The gel has flexible hold, so it will help with the subsequent blow out.
4. Comb the hair.
5. Blow dry using a boar bristle brush to help smooth out the hair.
6. Once hair is dry, flat iron section by section following the flat iron with the brush (the curlier your hair, the smaller the sections should be).
7. Spray hair with Herbal Essence Set Me Up Extra Hold Hair Spray. This will leave your hair with a no-stick glossy finish.
Tousled Look – Lauren
1. Wash hair with Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly Shampoo and Conditioner to prep the hair.
2. Towel dry wet hair. Comb and apply a nickel size amount of Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly Mousse with your fingertips to smooth the hair.
3. Blow dry.
4. Pin the crown section of the hair to get the hair underneath first.
5. Using a half inch curling iron, take small sections of hair and wrap the hair around the barrel. Let hair set for a second. When the curl comes out it should be in an “S” form. Repeat with random pieces here and there around the crown of the head. Remember that you’re going for a tousled look, so don’t worry about even perfection.
6. Take down the crown section of the hair and repeat the curling process with this second section.
7. Use your fingers to lightly break some of the curls apart.
8. Spray Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly Hairspray to set the look.
9. Finish the look by teasing the curls with your fingertips.