In 2010, the need to fill the 24/7 news cycle on a constant basis became more palpable than ever. The result, what we now consider to be “news” has become increasingly blurry. Should we really care about what Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher ate for dinner? Does a tweet from Kim Kardashian getting her makeup done for some forgettable event really deserve our attention? Should a rumor from an unnamed source really be print-worthy? Well, amidst all the hearsay, rumors, and blown-out-of-proportion stories, here are 10 that really got people talking.
1. The shocking suicide of designer Alexander McQueen.
2. New York Fashion Week moves from Bryant Park to Lincoln Center for the Spring 2011 shows.
3. Tom Ford stages an intimate fashion show in his New York City boutique to launch his namesake women’s wear collection. No photographers, aside from Terry Richardson and his team, were allowed to take photographs during the presentation, and celebrities including Beyonce, Lauren Hutton, Rita Wilson, Daphne Guinness, and Julianne Moore modeled Ford’s well-received collection.
5. Major upper masthead shuffling: editor-in-chief Carine Roitfeld steps down from French Vogue; editor-in-chief Aliona Doletskaya steps down from Russian Vogue; Sally Singer moves from American Vogue to become the editor-in-chief of T: The New York Times Style Magazine; Stefano Tonchi moves from his editor-in-chief position at T: The New York Times Style Magazine to become the editor-in-chief of W. Rumors of when Anna Wintour will retire as editor-in-chief of American Vogue abound.
6. Sarah Jessica Parker is named the president and chief creative advisor for Halston Heritage (Halston lower-priced line), and much to everyone’s surprise, the resulting looks have been fashion-forward, while being wearable and well priced.
7. Kate Middelton’s fashion choices go under as much scrutiny as First Lady Michelle Obama’s after her engagement to Prince William is announced.
9. Allegations of photographer Terry Richardson’s sexual misconduct on shoots surfaces. The most surprising part? The allegations seemed to have helped the controversial photographer’s career.
10. Giles Deacon takes the helm at Emanuel Ungaro after the Lindsay Lohan debacle, and shows a promising first collection for the once iconic label.