Who wouldn’t want to take a peek at what Tory Burch munches on for lunch, or what wine Vera Wang drinks at dinner? Peddling your resume, or the latest garment you’ve made from scratch, to your fashion idol isn’t exactly proper etiquette, but in the cut-throat fashion industry, it’s important to delicately take advantage of every opportunity. Here’s a list of 10 restaurants that fashion industry notables hit in New York City. After all, who knows what would happen if you coincidentally brushed shoulders with Anna Wintour?
1. The Lion – Karl Lagerfeld approves. Need we say more?
2. The Darby – Given that the Marchesa ladies, Keren Craig and Georgina Chapman, designed the uniforms at this new hot spot, it’s little surprise that fashion influencers like Beyonce have been spotted here.
3. Sky Room – This swanky spot is so popular among the fashion elite that they’ve got a Fashion Dessert Menu, conceptualized with the help of Nanette Lepore, Rebecca Minkoff, Yeohlee, and other designers who also frequent the rooftop bar and restaurant.
4. Swifty’s – This Upper East Side staple has been attracting industry folks since the days of Bill Blass; his favorite dish was the baked meatloaf!
5. La Grenouille – Anna Wintour and Linda Fargo of Bergdorf Goodman love this classic French restaurant, and if the name rings a bell, it’s because it was featured on Gossip Girl.
6. Elaine’s – Elaine Kaufman sadly passed away recently, but her legacy lives on in her legendary restaurant, which has attracted everyone from Jackie Onassis to Sex and the City author Candace Bushnell.
Above: The Pierre Hotel
7. The Monkey Bar – With an owner like Vanity Fair editor-in-chief Graydon Carter, you better believe this is a perennial favorite for Conde Nast staffers.
8. Ai Fiori – Where the chef Michael White goes, big names follow. His latest venture is located in NYC’s posh Setai Hotel, which is famous in its own right for attracting a discerning list of glitterati.
9. Caprice – Since she lives in a 10-room apartment in the Pierre Hotel, it’s little surprise that the hotel’s eatery is a Tory Burch favorite.
10. Michael’s – Few industry insiders haven’t been spotted here. It’s a go-to for everyone from top-of-the-masthead editors, to influencers like Joan Rivers. And, lest we forget, it’s been Oprah-approved!