image: Michael Childers
Simon Doonan, Barneys New York's hilarious creative ambassador-at-large, author and fashion personality, answers our 21 questions.
- When I get dressed in the morning I think… "It's time to make the doughnuts!"
- I'd never leave my home without… my Goyard crossbody with the oversized monogram (below right).
- I always smile when… I see a dog in a fluffy pink sweater.
- I could never travel without… my bottle of Crestor and my Aesop moisturizer.
- One luxury item I'm dying to splurge on is… one of the new Prada made-in-Peru alpaca sweaters. I have a soft spot for Peru.
- My biggest fashion regret is… not having done the Boy George dread-head look back in the early 80s. Very Milli Vanilli.
- The up-and-coming designer I'm most excited about… I love Sacai. J'adore the couture shapes.
- The most treasured item in my closet is… a nehru jacket made by Sir Paul Smith from his ganny's old 60s curtains.
- The best style advice I ever got… "Always add three accessories every time you leave the house." I am a maximalist.
- When it comes to home decor… I think people could be more adventurous. Your home should be like a nice dose of trippy Zoloft.
Jonathan Adler and Simon Doonan, image: WENN
- What keeps me excited about working in fashion is… the fact that the landscape gets bigger and more fabulously confusing every year. I am a sucker for chaos.
- The last thing I Googled is… Britney's new video: Work Bitch. What a profound sentiment.
- If my days had one extra hour… I would spend it dancing round the living room to Brit Brit.
- When it comes to living a healthy lifestyle… I am so healthy it's disgusting. I have no vices except Brit Brit.
- My guilty pleasure is… I try not to feel guilty about anything. I watched the entire first series of Jersey Shore and felt no guilt.
- When I'm looking to de-stress I… go paddleboarding with my husbear on Shelter Island.
- The one brand/designer that never disappoints is… Thom Browne. He is a hand grenade which just keeps exploding.
- On a typical Saturday night I… watch Lock Up with my husband [Jonathan Adler] and a bunch of pals…without feeling guilty.
- My biggest fashion pet peeve is… people having peeves. There is no such thing as a faux pas. However, I am not very keen on the trend for topknots.
- When it comes to New York vs. London I think… I am a Brit so you cannot ask me to take sides. Apples and oranges.
- The thing I'm most excited about this fall/winter is… trying not to die of old age (I'm 61) and everyone on earth buying my new book and catapulting me to literary stardom.