Image: Timothy Greenfield Sanders
We ask Fern Mallis, the woman who basically invented Fashion Week
and who recently launched a jewelry collection with HSN
, our quickfire questions.
- The Fall 2014 collections I was most excited for were… Bibhu, Altuzarra, Donna Karan’s 40th Anniversary show, Prabal Gurung and Alexander Wang.
- The up-and-coming designers I have my eyes on include… Brandon Sun, Public School, Suno and Creatures of the Wind.
- The most memorable show I ever attended was… Bill Blass’ retirement and finale show staged during hurricane Floyd.
- My Fashion Week essentials include… convertible low heeled to flat shoes, water, back up power for iPhone and iPad, and Altoids.
- What keeps me excited about Fashion Week is… the sense of discovery.
- My beauty essentials include… Estee Lauder Night Repair Cream and Aerin’s Lipstick 06 Beach Beige.
- My biggest fashion pet peeve is… chipped nail polish.
- When I'm stressed I… try to get a massage.
- I would never leave my home without… my keys and cellphone.
- One thing I wish would change about Fashion Week is… the location.
- The last thing I googled… was the character traits for a Libra in preparation for my ‘Fashion Icons with Fern Mallis’ interview with Isaac Mizrahi.
- My biggest fashion regret… is giving away years of fabulous European clothes – Missoni, Sonia Rykiel, Armani, etc. when I became director of the CFDA – I thought it was best to only wear American designers.
- What attracted me to designing jewelry was… the amount of compliments I always get on my accessories, mostly acquired from travels to India and Asia.
- My travel essentials include… my passport, iPad, huge black Urban Zen scarf/wrap/shawl gifted from Donna Karan and earphones.
- My guilty pleasure… is bacon.
- One luxury item I'm dying to splurge on… is a full-time driver.
- When it comes to NYFW events, the most memorable one was… the early closing parties when 7th on 6th first started in Bryant park organized by David Rabin and Will Regan. JFK Jr. and Naomi Campbell couldn’t get in because it was so crowded, although they eventually got in through the back door.
- The best advice I ever got… was from my dad – no two people should ever have to worry about the same thing.
- The designer that throws the best after parties is… I call it quits after the shows.
- When it comes to models I think… that I’ll never be that skinny.
- If my days had one extra hour… I’d spend it in my apartment with Dimples, my adorable black cat.