Last month, when we brought a group of panelists together to review the Fall 2014 NYFW show season, the conversation very quickly turned to New York City's identity as a fashion capital.
"In the U.S., we don't turn out the Gallianos and the Lagerfelds and the Lacroixs," said stylist Robert Verdi, referring to the spectacular theatrics and unbridled creativity associated with Parisian fashion. By comparison, Verdi says, "[In New York] we turn out Calvin, Donna, Ralph. We make sportswear. It's a business."
"Well, we have one show…Thom Browne," said fashion photographer Chiun-Kai "Chunky" Shih.
"Ooh, that was fierce," said June Ambrose, nodding.
The debut installment of theFashionDish brings six fashion industry experts for dinner and a roundtable discussion recapping New York Fashion Week. In the coming weeks, we'll be bringing you lots of short clips and a full 30-minute episode drawn from the rowdy, hilarious and informative conversation that ensued.
About our panelists:
- June Ambrose, a leading celebrity stylist whose clients include Jay Z, Missy Elliot and Zoe Saldana.
- Laurie Brookins, a veteran fashion journalist who has interviewed designers like Tom Ford, Frida Giannini and Alber Elbaz. Brookins was also theFashionSpot's social ambassador this Fashion Week.
- Katie Cassidy, the star of The CW's Arrow and co-founder of the fashion blog TomboyKC.
- Jaclyn Jones, Senior Womenswear Editor at WGSN, a leading trend forecasting firm.
- Chiun-Kai "Chunky" Shih, fashion photographer, Condé Nast creative director and the creator of Hipstamatic's 'Chunky' lens.
- Robert Verdi, a celebrity stylist (best known for his work with Eva Longoria), television personality and lifestyle expert.
Julie Bensman, theFashionSpot's editor-at-large, moderated the discussion, which was filmed at The Lion in New York City.
- Watch: Is the Star Wars Trend for Real? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Was Kendall Jenner Fashion Week’s Biggest Publicity Stunt? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Marc Jacobs Doesn’t Support the Gay Community [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Celebrity Stylist June Ambrose Defends the Street Style Circus at Fashion Week [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Where Do Fashion Trends Come From? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Do Runway Models Perpetuate an Unattainable Beauty Standard? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Can We Talk About Lupita Nyong’o? a tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Is Karlie Kloss Overexposed or Awesome? A tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Who Cares About Diversity? A tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Do Bloggers Belong at Fashion Week? A tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Is Lincoln Center Fashion’s High School? a tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]