The essential button-front blouse is one of those pieces that you can never get enough of, season after season.
No longer considered the attire of the preppy leisure class or stuffy business people, the button-front blouse is moving into new territory because of the endless amount of edgy ways it can be worn.
This season’s latest version is silky to the touch, lightweight, loose-fit, and adorned with utilitarian front pockets. Whether you go for a collarless version, or one with a distinctly collared neckline, there are endless ways to style it.
It can be punk rock when worn slouchy and long over a pair of black skinny jeans, Parisian chic when tucked into a high-waisted skirt and with sleeves cuffed, bohemian cool draped over a vintage pair of Levi’s cut-off shorts, or masculine over a pair of distressed boyfriend jeans.
During the cooler seasons, many reach for this classic blouse in neutral colors like black, white, and beige, but for summer, things are a little more colorful. The button-front blouse is especially on-trend when worn in tones of powder pink or soft mint green.
Be inspired by three very different ways to style this year-round staple.
Go for a feminine summer look with a pink button-front blouse and a dainty little skirt in an interesting pattern.
1. Rag & Bone The Tomboy Shirt from Shopbop – $92.50
2. Tiered Abstract Skirt from Forever 21 – $17.80
3. Loop Tuck Leatherette Belt from Forever 21 – $3.80
4. Strappy Suedette Sandals from Forever 21 – $17.80
5. Alice in Chains Bag from Nastygal – $72.00
Channel Alexa Chung by pairing a neutral button-front blouse with a quirky pair of high-waisted shorts, and cheeky jazz flats.
1. Shipley & Halmos Alva Button Down Blouse from Shopbop
2. Suedette Oxford Flats from Forever 21 – $19.80
3. Industrial Revolution Bag from Modcloth – $34.99
4. Floral Woven Shorts from Forever 21 – $14.80
Make a utilitarian button-front blouse edgy with a chic pair of trousers, sleek sunnies, and platform booties.
1. Equipment Signature Washed Silk Blouse from Shopbop – $124.60
2. Sunglasses from Forever 21 – $5.80
3. Jeffrey Campbell Alicia Wedges from Nastygal – $125.00
5. Ideal in Every Way Pants from Modcloth – $39.99