With so many new trends from fashion week just waiting to be experimented with, it's easy to forget the classics in the midst of the fall weather.
Chunky knits, head wraps, and trench coats abounded on the Fall 2010 runways (not to mention their presence on the Spring 2011 catwalks), and are proof that the effort to bring back simple, timeless pieces is still in full force.
Here are three fall essentials for less, along with their vintage counterparts.
Chunky Cable Knit Sweaters
Chunky cable knit sweaters have pervaded the pages of almost every fashion publication this season, and the style is identical to bombshell Marilyn Monroe's.
It's not particularly hard to find an affordable cable knit, but we were especially lucky when we stumbled upon the online fall catalogue at Victoria's Secret, which boasts a myriad of seductive sweaters.
- Slouchy cable sweater dress - $78 at Victoria's Secret
- Basic cable sweater – $70 at Modcloth
- Cotton cable turtleneck - $39 at Victoria's Secret
- Knitted cable boyfriend jumper - $100 at Topshop
Premium Twist Pom Pom Sweater - $69 at Asos
The headscarf was recently seen on Jason Wu's Spring 2011 catwalk, although it is an appropriate piece for any season. Throughout the years, the headscarf has taken numerous forms, including but not limited to silk wraps, knit bands, elaborate turbans, and bandanas.
- Marrakesh Turban - $78 at Urban Outfitters
- Taffeta Wire Headwrap – $3.80 at Forever 21
- Orange Kobato Turban - $28 at Lori's Shoes
- Get spotted scarf – $49.50 at Madewell
- Black turban beanie – $38 at Oak
Towards the end of spring fashion week in Paris, the classic trench coat was a go-to piece as the weather became increasingly chilly. Men and women alike were all sporting trenches, most frequently in a camel color.