Skirts are all the rage this season. Fifties-inspired circle skirts, edgy maxi skirts, kitschy minis, and sharp pencil skirts that hit right below the knee are all fantastic options, but there’s only one major skirt trend difference between this season and last season – and that’s leather.
Leather brings modernity and toughness to the girlish appeal that’s always been attached to the first official uniform piece in woman’s history. No longer do you have to feel prim, proper, and contrived in your skirt.
Leather skirt on the runway at Celine, from Style.com (left), and girl in a leather skirt, from the TFS forums (right)
With leather, you can still wear a skirt and and not lose your sense of “I rule the world and rock” outlook on life. It takes a lot of confidence to wear, say, a full-on maxi skirt that is leather from top to bottom, but it’s simple to ease your way into this trend.
For those who are not quite ready to take the riskiest steps in the name of fashion, start off with just a simple black leather pencil skirt that hits at the knee. It still has the prudishness of your elementary school teacher, but underneath its practical exterior lies a whole new rock and roll vibe that mixes things up. All we know is this: leather skirts are cool and fresh. So why not channel your inner bad-ass and try one on?
1. Blank Denim Leather Skirt from Shopbop – $128.00
2. Diane von Furstenberg Bolo Leather Skirt from Shopbop – $625.00
3. Kiki de Montparnasse Leather Pencil Skirt from Shopbop – $850.00
4. Alice + Olivia Leather Box Pleat Skirt from Bloomingdales – $396.00
5. Nanette Lepore “True at First” Pebbled Leather Miniskirt from Bloomingdales – $358.80