It might be a new year, but you certainly don’t need to ditch all the threads you wore in 2010. Why not work with what you already have? Take advantage of the shopping you’ve done this past year and get creative with not just what you wear, but also how you wear it. Reworking your wardrobe isn’t just economical, it’s also chic. Get inspired with these fresh ways to style your look.
1. What do you do when you want to reinvent a simple look for a night out? Tie a leopard-print scarf around your neck; it will instantly bring your outfit to life and add a sexy edge without being too over-the-top.
2. Breathe new life into your worn-in leather jacket with a distressed denim vest. It’s grungy, cool, and a little bit punk rock. It’ll give the illusion of a brand new jacket! Just throw on your favorite leggings, tunic top, and printed scarf, to complete this weekend-ready look!
3. Take the blah out of an old brown maxi dress, or any other brown item in your closet, with a white blazer. It adds contrast and dimension, and looks luxurious.
4. Does leather on leather seem like too much for you? With neutral tones like black and camel, this trend works well. Rather than wearing one leather piece at a time, try pairing together your two favorite leather pieces in contrasting basic colors, and wear them together. Make sure the proportions are right, and that it fits snuggly without being too tight. Add a chic belt around your waist to tie the look together.
5. Mixing prints has always been a great way to try out a new look. Stripes can go with just about anything; try pairing a basic striped piece with a plaid scarf or shawl. From here on, you can start thinking outside of the box and begin experimenting with prints you haven’t thought of wearing before.
6. Rework a knitted sweater with a holiday vibe or wintry Fair Isle print by layering it under a trendy jacket, like a leather motorcycle one in an unexpected color, or with a metallic sheen to it. Keep the rest of your look simple and clean with something like classic chino pants or black skinny jeans. It will create the perfect balance of edginess and timelessness.
photos via stockholmstreetstyle