It may still be blisteringly cold out, but with the Pre-Fall 2011 collections just wrapped, no one in the fashion industry has this season’s winter collections in mind. Staying on-trend when all you want to do is cozy up by a fire is no easy feat, and while it may not be appropriate to bust out the all-white looks and oversized floral print dresses just yet, no one says you can’t make those trends work in some capacity. By remixing what we already own, and doing some wise shopping, we can all avoid the faux pas of showing up to the Fall/Winter 2011 shows in Fall/Winter 2010 trends.
Yves Saint Laurent and Tory Burch, Pre-Fall 2011
1. Pack on the layers by opting for a Pre-Fall 2011 favorite, the cape (think Yves Saint Laurent), over your top and under your coat.
2. When wearing a white piece, opt for one made out of a heavy fabric and, if possible, go for a creamy off-white shade.
3. Play up the nautical trend of the Pre-Fall season (seen at Tory Burch and Derek Lam) with some accessories. Striped scarves, hats, gloves, and mittens are all perfect options. Remember, you don’t have to limit yourself to the classic Breton stripes – pops of color are a great way to fight the winter doldrums!
Jil Sander and Proenza Schouler Pre-Fall 2011
4. Take a nod from Jil Sander and work some gray into your look. Slip on your favorite gray top, sweater, pants, coat – even gray boots and pumps work.
5. Plaids and florals seem to be perennial runway favorites – just take a look at Balenciaga’s Pre-Fall 2011 collection – both prints translate well into outerwear or separates (a cardigan, a cropped layer-friendly sweater).
6. A number of designers were inspired by sportswear for their Pre-Fall collections, notably Helmut Lang. This is one of the most convenient trends for winter; grab a track jacket, an athletic watch, or cozy up in an Alexander Wang signature separate.
7. Turbans and hats continue to be prominent, and while most of us own stylish winter hats, turbans are not yet a staple for everyone. Go the DIY route and work a lightweight fabric from an old summer garment into a stylish head topper.
8. Incorporate pops of bright colors into your wardrobe with some tights, like the Pre-Fall 2011 Proenza Schouler collection. Or, opt to express the season’s fondness for bright hues with your makeup; eyeliner is an especially easy, but impactful route.
images via WWD