Anna Dello Russo may have kicked off her singing career by telling us that “fashion is always uncomfortable” but fitness-wear is one notable exception to the rule (even Russo, I imagine, doesn’t practice her daily yoga routine in Balmain and a pineapple fascinator). That doesn’t mean we have to abandon aesthetics all together, however. Even those of us who are regular gym denizens find it hard to motivate for our daily workouts, and while function is always the most important factor (no one should be running in Prada sneakers constructed for little more than leisurely strolls), with the likes of Stella McCartney, Jeremy Scott, Anya Hindmarch, and Yohji Yamamoto designing athletic wear, there’s no need to completely sacrifice personal style for function. Plus, who knows, next time it’s 6 AM, pouring rain, and your alarm clock rings to alert you that it’s time to hit the gym, those neon pink sneakers and chic gym bag might be just what gets you excited enough to peel yourself out of bed.
With that in mind, check out these finds that boast style and function:
1. Adidas ClimaCool Ride, $90 – Featuring 360 degree ventilation, this new style is incredibly lightweight making it ideal for outdoor summer runs. Plus, it comes in 26 of the most vibrant colors you’ll ever see.
2. Adidas Fluid Trainer Shoe, $80 – If you’re the kind of person who runs one day, boxes another, and practices yoga the next, this sock-like shoe is lightweight and flexible while still having enough cushioning to protect your legs during an intense workout.
3. Anya Hindmarch Gym Kit Large Canvas Tote, $135 – Though you’ll have to pack your money away in the inner pocket since this bag doesn’t zip shut, it’s super lightweight and roomy enough to store a change of clothes, sneakers, a large water bottle, and more.
4. Reed Krakoff Gym II Leather Tote, $1,190 – If you fancy yourself the Daphne Guinness sort of lady, Krakoff’s Gym carry-all is without a doubt the way to go.
5. Reebok RealFlex Run, $90 – Go from the weight room to a posh Southampton tennis club with this new style from Reebok that combines the lightweight, flexible feel of a barefoot running shoe to promote natural motion, but offers enough support that you won’t risk having a negative impact on your knees.
6. Adidas by Stella McCartney Gym Paneled Cotton-Blend Track Pants, $80 – Give classic track pants a makeover with these light gray cotton ones that feature slate washed-twill panels along sides. Pair it with the designer’s Run Cotton-Jersey Hooded Top (#7, $145). and her Gym Drawstring Jacket (#8, $150), for the perfect cool down/pre warm-up look.
10. I AM ATHLETICS Fleece Top, $88 – All of the brand’s tops feature words printed in reverse so you can see them in a gym mirror.
11. Runphones Summer Version, $34.95 – This machine washable, moisture-wicking headband comes with thin, built-in speakers and a plug to connect to your MP3 player.