Summer is finally upon us, and unless you want to look like Snooki and the rest of the Jersey Shore crew, there are a few basic style dos and don’ts every woman should know. From ill-fitting swimsuits to skincare protection and bling on the beach, here are 8 tips for summer chic:
1. Quit wearing heels to the beach: There’s a time and place for heels, and the beach just isn’t one of them. Not only are they a safety hazard (think heel stuck in the sand and woman tumbling to the ground), they also look super tacky and scream high maintenance too. Now, don’t get me wrong, normally I’m all for a pair of sexy high heels, just not when I’m bikini clad and sun bathing by the ocean in 90-degree heat. A more appropriate choice? A pair of cute flops or some open-toe sandals!
2. Buy a swimsuit that fits: Nobody wants to see your goods hanging out no matter how hot your body looks. Take the time to find a suit that truly flatters your figure and hugs in all the right places. It’ll be worth the investment (I promise!) and you’ll be thankful when all the hotties are flocking to your towel later.
3. Cool it with the bling-bling: No, but seriously—bedazzled bikinis and blinged-out accessories are never okay…especially at the beach. Remember, simplicity is key. And if you absolutely MUST don some bling, a dainty little charm necklace or a single bright bangle is all you really need.
4. Lather on the sunscreen: Whether you’re as white as Casper or Seaside Heights tan, do yourself a huge favor and protect the skin you’re in this summer with a good SPF: one for the face AND another for the bod. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did when 30 years down the road you’re still looking as radiant and youthful as you did way back when.
5. …Not the makeup: A little concealer or a touch of gloss is cool, but do you really need ALL that makeup when you’re just kicking it with some friends by the pool? Hmm, my guess is no. Save the heavy liner and dark lipstick for a time that actually calls for it, like a night at the Roxbury or club hopping with your girls.
6. Put on some clothes: We know it’s hot out and you gotta keep cool, but for the love of fashion (and your dignity), PLEASE put on some clothes! And no, hoochie jean skirts and bathing suits as tops don’t count. Instead, opt for airy lightweight garments that’ll keep you looking and feeling breezy all summer long.
7. Invest in a good pair of shades: If you plan on being outdoors at all this summer — which I assume you do — then it’s important to invest in a quality pair of shades. Besides being a stylish accessory, polarized sunglasses help reduce the glare of sunlight and protect your pretty little peeper’s from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
8. Rock a versatile cover up: You never know when a casual day at the beach might turn into a late night BBQ. So why not sport a cover up (we suggest the maxi dress) that’s suitable for both?
Left: Victoria’s Secret Maxi Bra Top Dress