Ladies with wider legs will often think the grass is greener on the narrow side, but skinny legs can present challenges when boot shopping as well. Here are some tips (and picks!) to make shopping for boots for slim calves a little easier.
- If you are hoping for your boots to look more snug and less baggy, consider the lace-up or button style — anything adjustable.
- Stretchy boots make excellent options for ladies with small calves. They are made to stretch out once the leg is in, so they are more narrow by default.
- Want to go retro cool and also fill out that extra room? Consider leg warmers! Etsy has tons of cute options, and if you fall in love with a pair of boots that is made for a wider calf, this can help add dimension to balance your skinny legs. Boot tights or socks sticking out of the tops of the boots (a pair of thick knee-high socks or thigh-high socks scrunched down) work as well.
- Don’t go too high! Higher heels will just make your legs look longer and thinner. Instead, find a great mid-heel or kitten heel height to flatter legs and pull the eye down to your feet.
- Consider getting your boots tailored so they fit more narrow. Sometimes a great shoemaker can be your best friend.
- End the boot at a wider part of your leg to help them look less skinny. Mid-calf and the over-the-knee boots that are trendy this season work really well for this.
- Maybe booties? Whether your booties incorporate quilt, hardware or a chunky heel, booties are an important staple this season to accompany your skinny jeans or cords. Make sure not to wear this look with a skirt though, going too short while showing off your slender legs may overpower skinnier legs and look disproportionate to the rest of your body.
These boots were designed with small calves in mind. Note, however, that aside from having a narrow calf circumference, they also run small.
Zuni Tall Wedge Boot, $377.95 at Nordstrom
Not only were these boots designed with slim calves in mind, but the wrap detail will work to add pseudo custom cinching to give the fit even more precision.
Paradiso Wraparound Strap Boot, $428 at Nordstrom
Streamlined enough to allow for a pulled-together look, these boots (designed with a narrow shaft) have just the right amount of menswear-inspired ruggedness to work for just about any casual look as well.
Volara Melody Moto Boot, $249.95 at Nordstrom
These boots are great for women who not only have small calves, but their height makes them a nice option for those that are on the short side as well. The style will hit slightly below the knee (versus the back of the knee).
Essence Chelsea, $199.95 at Zappos
Have a Pretty Woman moment with these over-the-knee boots designed with a narrow calf circumference.
Saffri Over the Knee Suede Boot, $168.95 at Nordstrom
The laces on these boots make them ideal for a little calf-height tightening.
High Heel Leather Boots with Laces, $159 at Zara
You don't have to sacrifice fit — even in the icy snow — with these Sorel boots, which have the added bonus of being available in a few different colorways and styles.
Cate the Great Waterproof Wedge Boot, $259.95 at Nordstrom
Comfortable and all-weather, these polished leather riding boots have a shaft and calf circumference designed for skinny legs.
Victorina Waterproof Leather Riding Boot, $294.95 at Nordstrom
If you're looking to work leg warmers into your look, these slightly baggy boots are a nice option as they have a lace tie at the top allowing for a snug finish.
Neeley Suede Boots, $300 at Shopbop
& Other Stories
The lace-up detailing that this style offers is perfect for tightening the boots to conform to slimmer legs.
Leather Lace-Up Boots, $345 at & Other Stories
Designed with stretch, these boots will smoothly conform to your legs.
Caldren Over-the-Knee Boots, $209 at Nine West
[ Related: How to Shop Boots for Wide Calves ]