We don’t know about you, but there are times when our vanity is overflowing with beauty products and it gets to a point where it’s downright messy. When Monday morning rolls around and we’re in a hurry to get out the door, a misplaced blush brush or brown eyeliner shouldn’t hold us up. Makeup organizers are great but can be extremely costly, so we took matters into our own hands with a few mason jars and some spray paint. It’s amazing how some inexpensive home supplies made our vanity neat and pretty. Here’s how we got our DIY on:
Besides a selection of different sized mason jars, you will need:
- Spray paint of your choosing
- Painter’s tape
- Nail polish remover
- Cotton swabs
- Scrap paper
Once you have gathered your materials, it’s time to DIY:
- Remove the lids from your jars.
- Place painter’s tape in the shape of the design you would like to achieve. It’s important to make sure that the tape is tightly hugging the surface of the jar to avoid any paint from dripping in — you want clean, straight lines.
- Place your pieces of scrap paper over your work surface to avoid inadvertently painting anywhere besides the jars. If you can, go outside so that the paint fumes don’t engulf your home with the strong odor. If you have disposable gloves, they’ll come in handy during this step, otherwise, just be careful to spray the paint in the right direction.
- Position your jar upside down on the paper and begin spraying. We applied thin layers instead of thick. By doing this, the paint will dry faster, coverage will be uniform and drippage won’t be an issue.
- Let your jar sit for an hour to ensure it’s completely dry.
- After an hour, remove the blue tape and clean up any imperfections using a cotton swab and acetone nail polish remover.
- Repeat steps 1 to 6 with your other jars and experiment with different patterns and lines. We went back to the large jar and sprayed the bottom quarter with glitter.