For every fairytale wedding like Chelsea Clinton‘s this year, there was a messy break-up, David Arquette-style. Celebrities take note: no one going through a divorce should ever air their dirty laundry on Howard Stern’s radio show. Here’s a look at some of the year’s most memorable celebrity couples news.
Most memorable weddings:
1. Draped in Marchesa, Nicole Richie wed her longtime boyfriend and father of her two children, Joel Madden. As a romantic gesture, Nicole had both of their names embroidered on the sleeve of her gown.
2. Clearly, Chelsea Clinton is a Vera Wang fan. When President Clinton’s daughter married Marc Mezvinsky, she wore an ivory strapless gown by the designer, before switching into a silk tulle cross-back Grecian gown with a narrow grosgrain black belt for the reception. Wang also designed the bridesmaids’ strapless bias-cut lavender chiffon dresses.
3. It can’t be easy being Brian Austin Green and constantly reading that you’re not good enough for the person you’re dating, but Austin Green got the last laugh this year when he married longtime girlfriend Megan Fox on a beach in Hawaii.
4. How many women can claim they got their own spin-off reality show as a result of getting engaged? Kudos to Bethenny Frankel for being one of the few reality stars to build a cohesive brand as a result of her reality TV fame. Best-selling books, a signature drink, Bravo’s Bethenny Getting Married?, and now Skating with the Stars. The celebrity natural food chef has had quite the busy year, including her well-documented pregnancy and marriage to Jason Hoppy.
5. Aside from pregnancy, one of the big “model trends” of 2010 was marriage – Lara Stone (above, left), Miranda Kerr (above, right with husband Orlando Bloom), and Coco Rocha all walked down the aisle.
6. Thank the pop gods that Katy Perry met her now husband Russell Brand, or who knows if we’d have such musical gems as “Teenage Dream”.
7. After picking Melissa Rycroft on season 13 of The Bachelor, Jason Mesnick unceremoniously dumped her on-air and married runner-up Molly Malane.
It wasn’t all tiered cakes and Vera Wang, however, 2010 brought on some pretty nasty break-ups too…
Most devastating break-ups:
1. At least Courtney Cox had close friend, Jennifer Aniston, to comfort her after she and David Arquette called it quits. The break-up prompted the actor to make three appearances on Howard Stern’s radio show where he embarrassingly dished about his sex life with Cox and claimed to be having a nervous breakdown.
2. After Parker was caught in a cheating scandal, it was clear that it wouldn’t be a fairytale ending for Eva Longoria and Tony Parker.
3. Though the former couple seem to be on friendly terms – even recently spotted dining together in New York City – it’s always sad to see young lovebirds like Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds get divorced after such a brief time together (they were married in the fall of 2008).
4. After filing for divorce from her husband, music executive Jordan Bratman, Christina Aguilera “rebounds” by giving herself an unfortunate fashion-flop of a makeover (perhaps she was a little too inspired by Burlesque).
5. It’s sad that Mel Gibson is still working in Hollywood. After countless sexist, racist, anti-semitic, and downright violent remarks, he capped off 2010 with a heated court battle with his ex, Oksana Grigorieva.
6. Oh, how embarrassed Camille Grammer must feel now for her remarks on Bravo’s Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. On more than one occasion, Grammer was filmed bragging about her marriage to Kelsey Grammer, while putting down those of her cast members, only to discover after the show wrapped, that her now-ex was cheating on her with a flight attendant.
7. Who knew the seemingly demure Jesse James had so many skeletons in his closet? Sadly, not Sandra Bullock (above, right).