The Fall 2011 collections were some of the most refreshing ones we’ve seen in a long while. Designers thought out of the box and often went in new and completely unexpected directions with their collections this season. Not taking the “easy way” and relying on the looks everyone already knows they have mastered, Yigal Azrouel, J. Mendel, Proenza Schouler, and Marchesa are just some of the brands that showed refreshingly exhilarating collections this season. Here are some of the top looks from some of the aforementioned designers and more.
1. Marchesa: So much more than “a princess dress” this hand embroidered bodice tulle gown is all but an Oscar shoo-in.
2. Proenza Schouler: Giving new meaning to tribal-chic, this was fringe at its absolute best.
3. Herve Leger: Much respect goes out to Max and Lubov Azria, because just when we think we’ve seen every possible iteration of the bandage dress, the duo surprise us with something new.
4. Jason Wu: Lace was all over the Fall 2011 runways, but no one worked the trend like Wu, who used over a dozen different iterations.
5. Ports 1961: A crisp and clean collection, this gorgeous pencil skirt featured laser-cut lace.
6. Isaac Mizrahi: Forget the cakes and poodles he sent down the runway, the real star of Mizrahi’s collection was this succulently hued chic day-to-night dress.
7. Victoria Beckham: Perhaps being pregnant (not that you could tell) inspired Beckham to drift away from her usually very fitted lineup of dresses. Whatever the reasons, the results were stellar.
9. Catherine Malandrino: This green dress was the perfect mix of Parisian-chic and New York cool.
10. Oscar de la Renta: It’s hard to imagine this strapless gown won’t be on Anne Hathaway’s body at some point during this year’s Oscars.
Photos: Vincenzo Grillo, IMAXtree.