As any devoted fan of Bravo’s The Rachel Zoe Project knows, with the recent announcement of the 81st Academy Awards nominees, the mad race is on for celebrities and their stylist to find the perfect gown, tuxe and accessories for Hollywood’s big day. The big stars of the night will be best actress nominees Angelina Jolie, Melissa Leo, Kate Winslet, Anne Hathaway, and 15 time nominee Meryl Streep, along with supporting actress nominees Amy Adams, Penelope Cruz, Marisa Tomei, Viola Davis, and Taraji P. Henson.
The stars are likely to stick with the same trends as they did for the Golden Globes – mainly glamorous without over the top glitz in light of the current economic crisis. Jewelry is likely to be kept minimal and makeup will likely be natural, while we’ll probably see plenty of neutral colors and perhaps, in light of First Lady Michelle Obama’s bright hued inauguration garments, some bold colors as well.
The awards show will be broadcast live on ABC from the Kodak Theater and Hollywood and Highland Center at 8 p.m. February 22nd. Below is a list of nominees for some of the major categories.
- Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"
- Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"
- Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"
- Meryl Streep, "Doubt"
- Kate Winslet, "Revolutionary Road"
- Amy Adams, "Doubt"
- Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
- Viola Davis, "Doubt"
- Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- Marisa Tomei, "The Wrestler"
- Richard Jenkins, “The Visitor”
- Frank Langella, “Frost/Nixon”
- Sean Penn, “Milk”
- Brad Pitt, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”
- Mickey Rourke, “The Wrestler”
- Josh Brolin, “Milk”
- Robert Downey Jr., “Tropic Thunder”
- Philip Seymour Hoffman, “Doubt”
- Heath Ledger, “The Dark Knight”
- Michael Shannon, “Revolutionary Road”
- "Australia," Catherine Martin
- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Jacqueline West
- "The Duchess," Michael O’Connor
- "Milk," Danny Glicker
- "Revolutionary Road," Albert Wolsky
Images courtesy of the Fashion Spot forums.