When Clueless came out in 1995, Women’s Wear Daily called it the fashion movie of the year. Now, more than 15 years later and with 90s fashion trends on the rebound—think crop tops, high-waisted denim, floral dresses, and chunky platforms, not to mention the full-fledged return of flannel which has almost come and gone—we think it, like totally, deserves the title. We’re not all as lucky as the film’s heroine, Cher Horowitz, a total Betty who has a revolving closet with a computer program to pick out her impeccably matched outfits, but here are some Clueless-inspired shopping picks for the “ensembly challenged.”
1. American Apparel Chiffon Oversized Button Up – $58; When Cher takes her driver’s license test, she digs through her closet looking for “responsible-looking” clothes. When she can’t find her “white collarless shirt from Fred Segal” she decides on a second-best sheer, ruffled white blouse. We would lose the ruffles, but love the long sheer top. Belt it at the waist for a more current look.
2. Theory Berdina Double-Breasted Blazer – $375; Cher’s signature look is an all-yellow plaid ensemble complete with blazer, sweater, pleated mini-skirt, and of course, a giant 90s cellphone. This yellow blazer by Theory in a more subdued hue inspired by her put-together style is perfect for those spring days when it’s not quite warm enough to go without a top layer.
3. Leatherbay Mini Backpack – $129.95; Cher would so approve of the mini bags that were featured on the Louis Vuitton, Balenciaga, and Chanel Spring 2011 runways. This mini leather backpack by Leatherbay is a chic way to tote your necessities—lip gloss and Daddy’s credit card.
4. Dior Addict Lip Gloss – $30; Speaking of lip gloss, “Anything you can do to draw attention to your mouth is good,” is Cher’s wisdom when it comes to ensnaring dates. Dior’s ultra-shiny lip gloss should do the trick, but if not, you can always send yourself flowers.
5. American Apparel Plaid Chiffon Double-Layered Shirred Waist Skirt – $42; Cher, Dionne, and Tai do Buns of Steel workouts (in covetable floral sports bras) to be able to constantly show off their stems in micro-mini skirts. This plaid skirt by American Apparel channels their preppy style, but its fluttery shape makes it modern.
6. Urban Outfitters Cable Knit Over the Knee Sock – $14; There must be a pair of knee socks in nearly every scene in Clueless, and the cool-weather accessory has had an almost equally strong presence on recent runways. These over-the-knee socks from Urban Outfitters look chic layered with chunky platform sandals—or go for a sheer sock for warmer days.
Whether trolling the mall or making a cameo at a Val party, try some of these looks inspired by Cher’s unbeatable 90s fashion. Just don’t be afraid to put your own spin on them—after all, the message of the film is to be true to your personal style.
Image credits, clockwise from top left: ParkAndCube.com, RollingStone.com, Blogue.com