Now that Marc Jacobs is no longer designing for Louis Vuitton or his diffusion label, Marc by Marc Jacobs, all eyes are on his main line. And although clearly the American designer is important — is he still influential? That is, are his collections still setting fashion trends? We put the question to a group of panelist last month, while we were filming theFashionDish, a new original series from tFS.
"Absolutely," said Jaclyn Jones, Senior Womenswear Editor at WGSN, a leading trend forecasting firm. "Because you have all these mass market companies, I'm talking about [retailers like] Macy's and Bloomingdale's — he's a big driver of trends. He has a big selling space on the Bloomingdale's floor, whether it's for accessories or apparel, and he's selling a lot of it. And [he's selling all over the world], whether it's in the U.S. or global — he has big Japanese coverage, people love him over there. He's kind of everywhere."
Watch the full conversation above.
The debut installment of theFashionDish brings six fashion industry experts for dinner and a roundtable discussion recapping New York Fashion Week. In the coming weeks, we'll be bringing you lots of short clips and a full 30-minute episode drawn from the rowdy, hilarious and informative conversation that ensued.
About our panelists:
- June Ambrose, a leading celebrity stylist whose clients include Jay Z, Missy Elliot and Zoe Saldana.
- Laurie Brookins, a veteran fashion journalist who has interviewed designers like Tom Ford, Frida Giannini and Alber Elbaz. Brookins was also theFashionSpot's social ambassador this Fashion Week.
- Katie Cassidy, the star of The CW's Arrow and co-founder of the fashion blog TomboyKC.
- Jaclyn Jones, Senior Womenswear Editor at WGSN, a leading trend forecasting firm.
- Chiun-Kai "Chunky" Shih, fashion photographer, Condé Nast creative director and the creator of Hipstamatic's 'Chunky' lens.
- Robert Verdi, a celebrity stylist (best known for his work with Eva Longoria), television personality and lifestyle expert.
Julie Bensman, theFashionSpot's editor-at-large, moderated the discussion, which was filmed at The Lion in New York City.
- How Resort Became the Biggest Season on the Fashion Calendar [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Is the Star Wars Trend for Real? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Was Kendall Jenner Fashion Week’s Biggest Publicity Stunt? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Marc Jacobs Doesn’t Support the Gay Community [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Celebrity Stylist June Ambrose Defends the Street Style Circus at Fashion Week [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Where Do Fashion Trends Come From? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Do Runway Models Perpetuate an Unattainable Beauty Standard? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Can We Talk About Lupita Nyong’o? a tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Is Karlie Kloss Overexposed or Awesome? A tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Who Cares About Diversity? A tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Do Bloggers Belong at Fashion Week? A tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Is Lincoln Center Fashion’s High School? a tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]