Horizontal stripes are a great trend to rock, but there are definitely a few style rules that you have to bear in mind to avoid coming across all Beetlejuice. Follow our top tips if you want to successfully nail this French chic inspired look.
- Avoid clashing horizontal stripes with vertical ones, as a stripy top and bottom will instantly get you onto the worst dressed list! Instead, team the stripes with muted tones. A striped top always looks great with a colorblocked pair of Capri pants — very Riviera!
- Don’t be afraid to inject a color pop into your stripey outfit. Black, white, red and navy hues are key to successfully capturing that South of France feel, so why not opt for a navy and white striped maxi dress and finish with some hot red lips and heels?
Don’t opt for color and sheer striped combos à la Rihanna circa 2010 either (above), there's just way too much happening here.
- Don’t be afraid to opt for stripes if you’re looking for a more glamorous look, as a striped maxi dress can easily be dressed up with a pair of heels and some statement accessories.
- If you’re feeling a little insecure about your head to toe striped dress, opt for a complementary cover-up. A neutral or contrasting French-inspired cardigan would serve as the perfect piece to break up your outfit.
- Finally, don’t over-accessorize a striped look like Jesy Nelson (right) from British pop bad Little Mix. Too many bangles and a patterned T-shirt make for a messy try-hard look. A plain black top with a simple necklace would have created more of a statement.