The headline here is, admittedly, slightly inaccurate. Here's what actually happened: Anna Dello Russo accessorized a $68,000 Saint Laurent dress with a dog and paraded the look in front of street style photographers outside the Emporio Armani Spring 2014 runway show at Milan Fashion Week.
The embellished floral babydoll dress first gained notoriety when it was photographed on Cara Delevingne for the label's Fall 2013 campaign (above; it also appeared on the runway), but its true claim to fame is its $68,000 price tag, a detail which was buried in a Style.com post about the label's new Soho store. We reported on the item in June as part of our ongoing coverage about luxury pricing, a topic which we initially came to through another Saint Laurent garment: an 80% polyester jacket which was priced at $61,000 (pictured below).
At the time, we were surprised to learn that the item had sold out completely in Europe (we couldn't determine whether it had ever been available in the US). For non-oligarchs, $61,000 is an unfathomable sum to pay for a garment which embodies tackiness; the jacket may be riffing on the label's iconic Le Smoking look and grain de poudre wool in an arch, lofty way, but its distinguishing features are polyester, sequins and animal prints.
Anna Dello Russo, for one, can't get enough of them.
Here she is wearing another Saint Laurent babydoll dress (pictured with L'Uomo Vogue editor Giovanna Battaglia, who is wearing Prada) close to Milk Studios in New York in September. The garment is one of the label's "signature school girl" dresses and it retails for "only" $2,950.
- By the Way, This Saint Laurent Dress Cara D’s Wearing Costs $68K
- This 80% Polyester Saint Laurent Jacket Costs $61K
- How Do Luxury Brands Determine Price?
- Saint Laurent Spring 2014: A Mixed Bag from Slimane
- Karlie Kloss Covers Vogue Japan’s November Issue with a Saint Laurent Runway Look
- Cara Delevingne Stars in Hedi Slimane’s Fall 2013 Campaign for Saint Laurent Paris (Forum Buzz)
- Saint Laurent Fall 2013 Runway Review
- Saint Laurent Spring 2013 Runway Review